Pumpkin is the new superfood "vegetable". Low calories, lots of vitamins - sounds like the perfect combination? Here's everything you didn't know about the Halloween classic.
1. Pumpkins are botanically seen as berries.
2. When a pumpkin is ripe, it sounds hollow when knocked on.
3. Pumpkin seeds are super healthy. They provide important nutrients and can prevent many diseases, such as cancer (they contain alpha-carotene).
4. Pumpkins contain hardly any calories - and only about 25 kilocalories per 100 grams.
5. Pumpkins make you beautiful (it contains silica for hair and nails) and fit (stengthens the immune system through the high iron content).
- 800 g Hokkaido pumpkin
- 600 g of carrots
- One litre of vegetable stock
- 500 ml of coconut milk
- An onion
- Ginger to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Herbs such as parsley or coriander to garnish
First, peel the pumpkin, carrots, ginger and onion and then cut into pieces. Then, sauté these ingredients in butter. Next, pour the ingredients in with the stock and let them cook for about 15 minutes until soft. Then blend everything into a purée, stir in the coconut milk and then give it a little taste and season to your preference. If you want it to look fancy, garnish the soup with something green like parsley or coriander.